Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Whole 30 (Day 1)

I cannot believe I am typing right now!  My children have decided to sleep in, which means that they are asleep past 6 a.m.  I'm all types of excited right now.

Okay, so I've decided to begin a Whole 30.  I did one last year and failed horribly.  I am, like most people, somewhat addicted to sweets. I say somewhat because it isn't something I absolutely need all of the time, but I have found that I do turn to something sweet at least once a day for a pick me up.  I don't know if it is common with people with thyroid issues, but I imagine that it would be.  I don't drink coffee and I don't eat refined sugar, but I can fill up on honey with the best of them.  Although some would argue that that would be okay in moderation, I would like to curb that craving of mine for a little bit of time.

Oh, so I have not explained the Whole 30 (can you tell I'm excited to be typing?).  Forgive me, the Whole 30 is basically Paleo without trying to make the foods you use to eat more paleo like. You know, like Paleo cookies, cupcakes, and brownies.  The Whole 30 is really about eating more of a whole foods diet along with eliminating some common irritant foods, like soy.  I can't explain in its totality, but I will say that it is hard for me to follow correctly because I want to cheat and sneak in some soy and gluten free chocolate chips just to get me past 4 p.m.  I can't do that on a Whole 30 diet, so needless to say I find myself getting irritated and really tired at around 6 p.m. Who knows what that is all about, but I have sneaky suspicion that it may have to do with not having enough T3 or a touch of adrenal fatigue.  I need to get a clear idea of what is going on with my body without constantly adding a stimulant and that is what I plan to do for the next 30 days.

Day 1 was successful, but the first day always is.  It's day 7 that I have a problem with, so we shall see. I wish I had taken pics of all my meals, but here is the low down of what I ate:

Breakfast:  2 boiled eggs, sliced tomato, and 1/4 of a cucumber seasoned with salt and pepper

Snack:  Sliced strawberries with bananas

Lunch:  Modified Tacos (Ground beef, tomato, and avocado)  served over cabbage.

Snack:  Smoothie (Kale, strawberry, and peach) it was quite tart, so it may not work for everyone

Dinner:  Chicken with cabbage

Also, I only drink green tea (unsweetened), water, and my smoothies during the day.

That's it for Day #1.  I plan to actually take pictures of what I eat, hopefully.

Also, here is a link to what the Whole 30 is actually about.




2 comments:

  1. You go girl! I look forward, as always, to following your journey my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I look forward to following yours. I miss reading about your life. Thank goodness I can stalk you on FB.

    ReplyDelete