Thursday, August 8, 2013

A recipe with a side of venting

I took a break from the blog or rather the blog took a break from me.  I've been so consumed with being a single mom lately that I haven't had much time for anything else.  My husband is away training (we haven't broken up or anything) and in a 3 month period, I think I may get the chance to see him for a full 24 hours.  It really does suck being an Army wife sometimes.  I do enjoy eating and his job is what puts food on the table, so I have to deal with it.  The last time I blogged, I mentioned that I baked some zucchini brownies and one of my favorite bloggers asked for the recipe in the comments.  I really encourage anyone who needs an extra dose of pick me up or some really cool things to do with quinoa to check out Zen Thyroid. When I started this journey, I was much different and I read a blog of her's called acceptance and it nearly had me sobbing.  At that time I was fighting for my old life.  I was literally fighting to keep every and anything that resembled what life was like before thyroid disease and I was killing myself on so many different levels. I realized after reading her blog post that I needed to accept what was happening to me and learn from it.  I learned that I needed to make a new way for myself and new did not mean bad, so here is the recipe for such an awesome person that picked me up without even knowing it:

Zucchini Brownies from Delighted Momma
1 cup almond butter
1 1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/3 cup raw honey
1 egg
1tsp vanilla
1tsp baking soda
1tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup (enjoy life) chocolate chips

I did not make that recipe up.  It comes directly from the Delighted Momma site and if you are starting to go gluten free or have been for a while, I strongly suggest you check out this site.

I have so much going on right now with the major issue being that I am running out of T3 medication and no one wants to refill it.  I have this immense amount of anxiety that I won't get the medication in time and have to suffer through thyroid hell all by myself with 2 children.  I really don't want to do that, so I think I may have to go to the emergency room tomorrow on post and ask them to give me some to hold me over until I can see the doctor next week.  It's so frustrating. I also don't know if that is even going to work because when I switched manufacturers of Synthroid after moving to California, I had a rough time. I cannot believe that I am that sensitive.  I am still waiting to go back to the Hematologist.  I went in to get an ultrasound of my liver and spleen and it was one of the most uncomfortable exams I have had to date.  I haven't heard anything back from the Hematologist and I am going to take that as good news.

Hopefully everything is fine and I will get my T3 tomorrow.  Until then...

Breathe and Listen

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I am beyond grateful for your amazing words. So touched...and maybe even teary eyes :) Thank you, Andrea. And your timing absolutely could not have been better. Sending big hugs right through cyberspace to you.

    Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely make that after obtaining some zucchini from the farmers market this weekend.

    Most importantly, how are you feeling? I hope you were able to get your T3 in time and that the tests came back perfect. I am thinking of you.

    You are AMAZING for dealing with everything and single momming it too right now. I am blown away and so inspired by your strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The words I wrote were true. You helped me tremendously. I am grateful for that blog post. I was in such a bad place. This has been journey for me and one of the first "good" steps I took was acceptance. Thank you.

      I'm doing okay. I got my T3, but a whole lot more too. How are you?

      Delete
  2. One more thing...I was also super sensitive to varying Synthroids - one was generic and the other was name brand. Thinking back on that, it is scary to think about how different those medications might actually be.

    OK, now I'm sending another hug

    ReplyDelete